When taking any assessment that uses the flash plugin, the first question is loaded in the html page. The follow-up questions are passed back and forth from the assessment flash file loaded in the client's browser. Normally, if the flash loads, there should not be any issues. However, we have seen a Windows group network setting conflict with the flash communication that occurs from the flash file and our servers.
If this is the case, the following conditions will be true:
- Flash test passes when left open for many cycles.
- First question of DORA or any assessment loads fine.
- Student responds and it appears to freeze.
- Hitting reload doesn't do anything.
- You may see "Ricky" or "John Doe" show up as the student's name. This is the default name when nothing is loaded.
The network administrator needs to adjust the permissions on these Windows computers. They can test by temporarily turning off all group restrictions on a test computer and then trying to resume an assessment. Specifically, the GPO (group policy object) had restrict internet communication enabled.
GPO: Restrict internet communication was disabled and the problem was resolved.